“The Windsor-Essex County Association of REALTORS® is recognized as the voice and source for real estate by providing education and essential services to maximize professionalism and business opportunities of our Members so they are able to make a valid contribution to our Communities.”
Incorporated April 12, 1918
On April 12, 1918, the original Board was incorporated as The Border Cities Real Estate Board, with a Membership of twenty-five (25) Brokers. This name was changed to The Windsor Real Estate Board on May 5, 1942. On October 27, 1971, the South Essex Real Estate Board and The Windsor Real Estate Board amalgamated to become The Windsor-Essex County Real Estate Board. In August of 2012, the Board changed its name to better reflect what we do, and who we service: Windsor-Essex County Association of REALTORS®.
Windsor-Essex County Association of REALTORS® is the oldest Real Estate Association/Board in Ontario and the second oldest in Canada, celebrating our 90th Anniversary in 2008. Membership in the Board has grown from the original twenty-five (25) Brokers in 1918, to the hundred and five (105) Members in 1964, Nine Hundred and Sixteen (916) Members (as of August, 2016) including sixty one (61) Firms.
Statistics of the Association show that our gross sales in 1945 were $ 40,650, for 6 sales. In 1984 the volume had increased to $243 million, 4,639 sales and 10,164 listings being processed by the Multiple Listing Service®. In 2011, the Board total sales volume reached $949,208,874, with the Board processing roughly 5,741 sales and approximately 12,643 listings.
The Association first implemented a Computerized and Catalogued MLS® System in 1976. Since that time a succession of technological advances have allowed Members to remain current in the constantly changing and advancing marketplace, these advances include a Lockbox system, first introduced in 1995 and most recently updated in 2012 to the Supra iBox® BT.
This new system includes infrared capabilities, Bluetooth capabilities and a range of user-friendly features. In 2003, the Association introduced Celerity, an Internet-based MLS® system, since then we’ve upgraded to D+H DMS® (formerly known as Filogix) providing Members with increased and diverse search tools, access to a variety of report creation and the ability to send reports directly to their clients increasing their ability to provide faster and more efficient customer-service.
In terms of education, REALTORS® are more informed now than ever! As of January 2000, the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) implemented Mandatory Continuing Education to enhance professional standards and increase consumer confidence. The complexity of the real estate marketplace has resulted in increased need for real estate professionals to ensure their knowledge is up-to-date. This program requires all registrants to complete a minimum of Twenty-Four (24) credit hours every two (2) years. RECO’s core purpose is to foster confidence and uphold integrity in real estate transactions, with their mission being to regulate the activity of trading in real estate in the public interest. Both REALTORS® and consumers will be better protected in a more educated real estate marketplace.